But let's party all users of Windows XP Home Edition!
I recently found a way to do the trick. Here's an alternative:
Use Tweak UI.
- Download Tweak UI by clicking on the link above.
- Install Tweak UI.
- Open Tweak UI (Start > Powertoys for Windows XP > Tweak UI)
- Click the "+" sign before My Computer on the Tree List on the left side of the window.
- Click the "+" sign before AutoPlay.
- Under AutoPlay, click Drives.
- Uncheck all drives that you want AutoRun to be disabled.
- CLick the OK button on the lower portion of the window.
*Note: You need Administrative Rights to perform this.
Running the application as Admin using the Run as. . . won't work. In able to do the tweak on a Limited Account, temporary change the account type into Computer Administrator before running the application. After that, you may change the account type back into a Limited Account.