February 1, 2012

Installing Eclipse CLassic on Linux Mint / Ubuntu

Last night I had this idea of creating my own OS but after a couple of research, I ended up deciding to start small and go into Android app development. Here are some articles that I came across regarding this idea.


As I have learned from the articles, the easiest way to get into Android app development is through the use of Eclipse. I personally prefer this method because I don't have much programming knowledge, especially on Java.


To cut the story short, I have to install Eclipse through a tarball file. Here's how it worked for me.

1. Download the Eclipse tarball file here. http://www.eclipse.org/downloads

2. Open Terminal (from main menu or Ctrl+Alt+T)

3. Extract the file.
tar xaf /home/cosmic/Downloads/eclipse-SDK-3.7.1-linux-gtk.tar.gz

*location of file and file name might differ from yours

4. Move to /opt/ folder.
sudo mv eclipse /opt/
cd /opt/
sudo chown -R root:root eclipse
sudo chmod -R +r eclipse

5. Create an Eclipse executable file in your path.
sudo touch /usr/bin/eclipse
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/eclipse
sudo nano /usr/bin/eclipse
Copy this into nano:
#!/bin/sh #export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/lib/mozilla/" export ECLIPSE_HOME="/opt/eclipse"  $ECLIPSE_HOME/eclipse $*
Save (Ctrl+o) and Exit (Ctrl+x)

6. Create a Gnome menu item.
sudo nano /usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop
Copy this into nano.
[Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Name=Eclipse Comment=Eclipse IDE Exec=eclipse Icon=/opt/eclipse/icon.xpm Terminal=false Type=Application Categories=GNOME;Application;Development; StartupNotify=true
Save and exit.

7. Launch Eclipse for the first time.
/opt/eclipse/eclipse -clean &

You're Eclipse should be ready to go. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment