June 21, 2011

Shifting to Linux

Since I was introduced to computer, I have been using Windows OS. As I go deeper into computing, I've heard about Linux and the wonderful things that it can do. Here are some of the things that I like best about Linux:
  • Freedom
  • Secured (against virus and similar threats)
  • Mostly free softwares
  • Flexible (you can customize it from appearance to functions)
There are also different distributions (versions) of Linux that would fit to your needs and technical knowledge. Here is a quiz that might help you decide on which distro (distribution) is right suitable for you:



http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

For those who are used to the Windows environment Linux Mint would probably be an option for you. It is somehow close to Windows environment so shifting wouldn't be that hard. Using Mint, you could also access Live Chat with other Mint users and from there, you could seek technical advice.

A disadvantage for Linux would be the fact that most softwares are created for Windows since it has the largest share of house computers. On the other hand, Linux developers continue to create counterpart softwares for those created for Windows.

Based on my experience, I could say that Linux provided me with the computing experience that I've been looking for.

Here's a point-by-point comparison from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux#Security

Shifting to another Operating System is definitely a thing to consider if you feel that there is still something missing in your computing experience and your current OS could not deliver your expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment